Monday, December 11, 2017

Solidaridad and Sinter Klaas


Dear Family and Friends,

Inline image 2
Thought I would start making a throwback to good old magic treehouse days. When I was little I would think of my mission and think "I wish I could go there" and then just like the books, everything started spinning and spinning and suddenly I am here, but I am living the dream. I never imagined actually being here. Like I referred to in the title HAPPY DUTCH CHRISTMAS, and you better believe that we set out shoes outside to get the presents from Sinter Klaas. Elder Styler still thinks I am making the whole thing up based on my imagination and we had a good laugh. We get along super well and it is fairly to get him to laugh which is good because it gives me the opportunity to try out some of my comedian impressions. So, as you will see in my pictures, yes, Sinter Klaas did make it to Peru. Actually, we had divisions with the zone leaders on Dutch Christmas so they were all able to laugh at our traditions I mean celebrate with me. Overall it was a really fun day.

How are your guys's Light the World calendars looking? I wish I were able to see the videos that come out everyday. Usually we associate New Years with setting good goals but these small acts of service are a good time to just get in the habit of frequently helping others. And a slight invitation to be looking for those opportunities. Just as the talk by Elder Holland reminds us that we are falling short we will never be able to do enough service.

The month of December is sufficiently different than those other months to make a difference on the work. We are still working hard we just have a lot of activities that we are doing and invited to participate in.
Tuesday we had a miraculous day we had set 6 appointments and we taught every single one and they were all good lessons. We didn't do anything different it was just a lucky day I guess but it was amazing. Everyday is different and I couldn't adequately explain to you what factors change, I actually think it might just start in our attitude. It is hard to explain and it doesn't make sense but we were laughing all day in the streets and somehow that affected our lessons or whether or not the people were in their homes.
It is different with a new companion, the things we focus on the people and it appears that some investigators have disappeared with the farewell of Elder Limao, no fault of his own it just happens sometimes.

It is humorous when we tell people that we follow the commandment and choose not to drink and they are like, not even a little? No not even a little the commandment isn't that we don't get drunk that is just covered when we don't drink at all. The same model follows that with the other commandments. Obedience starts with having in mind from the beginning that you aren't even willing to dabble in the gray areas. The pharisees weren't bad because they were super obedient but because they made their own rules. If being molly Mormon or peter priesthood means that you are obedient to the covenants and commandments then that should be a compliment although sometimes it feels like a negative thing. I digress, obviously I could go on and on about this topic being a missionary as could any missionary. Elder Holland doesn't like talking about this but I do. Obedience is just the simplest thing that has turned into a negative dogma or stereotype. Be good.

Well we just barely got a call from the President and we are getting a new elder in our companionship so after this we will go pick him up. I am actually kinda freaking out about that. We just barely got the news 30 seconds ago. WOO. Someone tell Elder Stylers parents.
I also did a really good voice recording but I cant get it to plug in. You guys are going to be blown away.

Last week I gave a workshop, I think that is the word in English, about getting people to come to church the three things I focused on was to make sure they understand the doctrine, put a plan and trust agency. Agency. The double edged sword that we are praying these people use to do good. Usually they do good but sometimes the natural man takes over, it also is a decision that requires initiative to be passive.  Missionary work work work day after day. I am glad to be out here, you guys would not believe how much fun I am having. And I take comfort in knowing that I can improve because, I wont lie my efforts right now aren't bringing maximum rewards so I still have a long way to go. The same reason I don't baptize people the day we find them relates to why we aren't in the Eternal Life stage yet. Progression. Progression which has pit falls but a sure positive slope.

Love you all,

Elder Craythorne

I pray you are having the best Christmas season. I am hear telling people that there was One who was perfect in every way and that through Him we can be perfect. Every day and my whole missionary life I testify of His life.

 Inline image 1





No comments:

Post a Comment